Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker

Sunday, October 21, 2007

October 20, 2007 We meet the girls!

Saturday morning we awoke early and packed our bags. Today we would travel to LaGi to meet our girls for the very first time! After packing our luggage, we headed down to breakfast. The hotel offers a variety of traditional Vietnamese dishes, congee, which is a rice porridge that the girls like to eat. I guess I will be learning how to make this. The hotel also had spring rolls, Pho, which I love, but it has been so hot that I have not had any yet. Fresh fruits and the best fresh squeezed orange juice I have ever had, even though they were green. We were packed and ready to go by 7:30. The bus was to arrive at the hotel at 8:30. T worked on some homework while we waited. The bus came and we headed down the busy streets of Saigon to the Agency’s office where we would meet all the staff and have our orientation meeting. Because of the traffic it took about an hour to travel across the streets of Saigon. At the office, which is located on what looks like a narrow alley we were greeted by all the wonderful staff. We were taken to the 3rd floor where we were served nice cold water and fruit. As the staff went over the paperwork and informed us of the days events T worked on homework. We were all done within an hour and off on the streets of Saigon to LaGi.

The trip would be 4 to 5 hours depending on the traffic. Even though we had left the city the roads to Binh Thuan are lined with homes and businesses. We stopped at a little restaurant to have lunch and use the western facilities. I had warned T that when we traveled out in the rural areas that we may have to use squatty toilets and that we would have to make sure we had TP just in case there was none. Everything on the trip was great.

Back on the road again Ms. H and Y chatted, the staff and I took a little nap while P and T watched the sights go by. It would be another 2 hours before we would be at the orphanage.

We entered the city of LaGi and headed down back roads to the orphanage. I could feel we were getting close. I wondered how the girls would react to see us for the first time. Had the nannies prepared them for our arrival? How much did they understand of what was going to happen in the next few days?

It was difficult to wake throughout the gates of the orphanage. I sat outside the gates holding M a short 6 months ago wondering what the children were like and if our child would come form this orphanage. As I walked through the gates it almost felt like a forbidden place for me, but this time I could walk through the gates to finally see and meet our girls. I slowly walked up the entry. There were 2 school age boys who met us at the gate. They were smiling and wanting to say hello in English. We were directed by the staff to go the left of the compound. We walked up 2 steps and stood at the entrance to a small room. Next to that room was another room that all the children were in. The staff wanted us to enter one at a time so we would not frighten the children. Ever so slowly we entered one by one. The children were all walking in a circle and singing a song something like ring around the rosey. Before we even entered the room X and H.A. started to cry. I could see the girls through the screen, and oh how beautiful they looked. We entered slowly and sat on the floor opposite form the girls. I did not want to approach them too soon. I offered the girls a toy tiger and their nanny encouraged Vy to come get it. She very quickly got up and grabbed it from my hand and returned quickly to her nanny. I did the same for Van but she would not move. I could see by the look on her face she was very worried. I pulled out the toy airplane from my bag. Vy again took advantage of this and grabbed the toy and returned to the nanny. Van sat still and just watched. I told Teddy it was time to work his charm and approach the girls slowly. He was able to do so without frightening them to much. I can only imagine how over whelming it was for them. I pulled out the suckers to share with all the children and nannies. Vy again was the first to grab and go, she was getting the hand of this side show. All the other children come one by one to collect their suckers. The older ones were very polite and crossed their arms and bowed as they accepted the suckers. I was so impressed.

I decided, with a little encouragement from Y, that I should try to approach the girls. I wanted so to just run in and grab them up and give them a great big hug, but I knew this would not be good. I wanted to approach them on their terms not mine. I slowly moved forward and sat next to Vy. I could tell by the look on Van face that she was not ready at all for me to approach her. I slowly tried to encourage the girls to play but they were not interested so I just sat next to them and was able to touch Vy leg and back without to much resistance. I took a photo of Van and showed it to Vy. She was very interested in this. Hmmmm a photographer in the making just like mom? Before I knew it their nanny had gotten up and I saw my chance to sit in between the girls. My move was accepted they did not move away. I was able to touch Van ever so lightly and she also accepted my touch. Progress, one tiny step at a time. After an hour it was time for everyone to take a break. The girls Nanny had a bowl of soup for the girls and it was time for them to eat. The girls followed the nanny’s que and came over for their supper.

As we left the room the girls shook our hands to say good bye and then waived. We then headed off to board the bus. Now it was time to check into the resort.

4 comments:

Tracy H. said...

Marla,

I'm getting chills reading your entry about the girls. This is going to be me in just a few short days! I'm glad you were able to see the girls. Vy seems like the extrovert where Van is the silent observer.

Can't wait to hear the next chapter in your journey. Hopefully, we'll get to see each other in Hanoi!

Tracy

Tracy H. said...

Marla,

What an exciting journey. I'm so glad you were finally able to meet the girls. I'm so excited for you & hope we have a chance to meet in Hanoi (we're leaving on Wednesday - YIPPEE!!!).

Tracy

Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

That sounds like a good start. Our first visit with Zeeb was very tentative like that. He let me sit by him but would get up and run somewhere after a few minutes. I was a little worried, but the next day after his foster mom said goodbye and I was all he had, he let me hold him the whole (hour+) ride back to the hotel. I'm sure your girls will do just as well, when the time comes.

Carissa said...

Wow that story is amazing! Praying for more progress tomorrow!